Sunday, February 10, 2013

Design from . . . words

This week's assignment will give you some creative freedom. I want to not only see you display some of your photoshop skill, but I also want to see how your brain works. I'm going to ask you to give me some creativity on this assignment, and I'm going to give you a while to come up with it.

Sometimes you have to design around an idea, rather than designing the idea itself. Tonight's exercise will have you doing just that: designing around an idea.

First, I want you to pick out four words. I want you to pick a noun, a verb, an adjective and an adverb. Maybe you have words you like already. Maybe you want to be random. I'll leave that up to you. But once you've picked your four words, I want you to a Google image search using each word. Find an image that comes up under each specific word search and compile those images into one photoshop document.

For instance, my four words might be:

noun: pencil
verb: eat
adjective: purple
adverb: quickly

I would do a Google image search for each word. (Type in each word in google and hit "search," then click the "images" tab at the top to see photos relating to your search word.) Then I would scroll down  until I found a photo I liked for each word and save it to my computer's desktop. Make sure to try and pick photos of good size! Then, I would think about how I could use those four images to create an interesting collage. This is the part I want you to take some time with! Don't just slap four things together. Try your best to create an interesting composition! Perhaps you can tell a  small story with your four words? Perhaps you can describe an event? The important part is to take your time and really give the idea some thought.

So, for your homework tonight, I want you to email me and tell me your four words. Please include all this information in your email:

name
class number (art 130)
noun
verb
adjective
adverb

Send me your email by midnight on Monday night. You may also start working on your collage once you've given some good thought to your ideas. But don't rush! You will be working on these on Wednesday night as well! I want good projects from you, so I'm going to give you plenty of time to work on them. Be prepared to spend all of Wednesday night's class working on these. If you finish on Monday night, you haven't done enough to your project and will receive a bad grade. I will be able to tell how much time you spend on these, so don't disappoint me.

No comments:

Post a Comment