Wednesday, January 9, 2013

A little bit about graphic design

First, I want to welcome those of you who didn't attend the first class. I'm sorry for the confusion the schedule caused and I'm glad you all are here, now, and am looking forward to a fun class!

Second, for those who weren't here on Monday, PLEASE check the post made on the blog. It contained an assignment (your first assignment) and it is a necessity for me to get that information. My email address is shown at the top right of this blog. You will have to copy/paste it into your email window. Please get that first assignment taken care of before you leave tonight's class.

I also asked everyone to comment on the post I made yesterday so I could see that you all are able to comment. If you have a google account (gmail) then sign into that before commenting. If you don't have a google account, you can comment as "anonymous" but it will ask you to verify yourself each time by typing in the code to prove you aren't a spam bot.

So, comment on the first post from Monday with the info I ask for, then email me with the info I ask for. Remember, I'm grading these! So read carefully what I want and send everything I ask!

So, on to today's class. . .


I want you to watch a couple of youtube videos. I think they are fun and informative. The first talks a little about graphic design while showing you several great multimedia techniques. You can find the first video here:

What is graphic design?

Next, have a look at another video and see what a talented graphic designer can accomplish:

When graphic designers get bored.

Finally, listen to some words of wisdom from a fantastic designer, Wim Crouwel. His life has been full of influential design and he is someone you should listen to, know and respect:

Wim Crouwel's advice for young designers

Those of you who have taken any of my classes before already know that I want to cultivate passion for graphic design in every one of my students. It's not necessary that you go out in life and become a professional designer in order to appreciate and love design. It is all around us every day. It is literally everywhere. So, take a moment to notice it. Even if it's just once a day, observe the work another designer has done and think about it. Maybe you love it, maybe you hate it. Perhaps it stirs something in you that is inspiring? It could even make you angry. But taking the time to notice it is important. Every single time you expose yourself to someone else's design work gives you insight, makes you more aware of what others are doing and, ultimately, makes you a better designer.

For tonight's assignment, I want you to do some searching for graphic design. Clever graphic design. I want  you to find design that has some thought put into it. Design that has an idea behind it and is executed well enough that the idea comes through in the design.

I'll give you one hint of a place to start looking for truly inspired, clever design: threadless.com.

So for your homework, I want you to find THREE pieces of inspired design. Something that makes you think, says something under the surface or even takes you by surprise. It's not hard to find them but if you're not used to looking, you'll have to give it some effort. Now, here's the catch: all three pieces must be from different sources. One more catch: at least one source must be from somewhere in the town of South Boston! If you find them, all three can be local, but at least ONE **MUST** be from SoBo. The other two can be from different places on the internet.

Use your camera phone, digital camera, etc to take the SoBo pic. You can even borrow a digital camera from the SVHEC if you need one!

For your internet images, I want you to copy/paste the link where you found it in the email you send me with your images. I want to go and find the image and look at where you were when you saw it. This will give me insight into your surfing patterns and will help me get a better feel for you as a design student. For your SoBo image(s), I want you to give me the street address (or other location) where you found your piece. I will check them out when I come back to SoBo!

Just so you'll have a better idea of what I'm looking for, here are a few examples of inspired, truly creative design:





HOMEWORK:

• Find three pieces of inspired, creative and/or provocative graphic design
• Two may be from the internet but at least one *must* be from South Boston.
• Email me all three pieces and include links to your internet images and location of your SoBo image.
• My email address is located at the top right of this blog
Subject line of email *must* say: ART 130 - Inspired design images
• Include your first and last name in the email so I'll know who is turning in homework.

You have the rest of the week and weekend to find these, so take your time and look for something great! I must have these in my email's inbox no later than midnight, Sunday, January 13th

No comments:

Post a Comment